thin clients as kiosks

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 12:08:22 BST 2006

Hi,

I note from here:

  https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-edgy-cd-diet

that there is talk of using epiphany and that this will facilitate a kiosk
mode.

I'd like to create some kind of kiosk mode for students to access the web.
I have set up a thin client, which is logged in with a guest account called
"student" and its .Xsession reads:
	exec firefox

which makes it just launch firefox, no gnome, etc.  When firefox closes,
the session ends and it goes back out to the login screen.

It seems I can lock down firefox or mozilla a fair way using one of these

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/509/
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1659/

so that'll be one of the next issues.

This is all _okay_, but problems include:

1. It would be nice to auto-login certain thin clients using lts.conf.  Is
   this possible currently?

2. As I understand it, Firefox will not be happy if I try to use this
   simultaneously on two desktops.  I will have either create two profiles
   or two accounts (probably handier).  Is anyone aware of a way to have
   firefox run with some sort of read-only profile so several clients can
   use the one profile?

3. Users can set bookmarks, preferences, etc. which I don't want -- unless
   they get nuked at logout.  I guess I can add
	exec rm -rf ~/.mozilla/
   to my xsession, but that's a bit nasty.

If [1] can be solved, that would be excellent.  I guess that's going to
involve some hacking of lwm though?