Problem with X server in 6.06 LTS

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 11:10:43 BST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006, Anton Shaleyev wrote:

> I cannot run Edubuntu (Version 6.06 LTS) on my new computer.
> When I start the system, I see the error message (something like: X Server
> cannot run and will be disabled), after this message system loads in
> non-graphical terminal mode.
> May be it was happened because CPU on my computer sets on AM2 Socket.
> How can I correct this mistake?

It sounds like your graphics card was not auto-detected by the Xorg
(graphical) system.  To confirm this, you could try with a different
graphics card (something a little older should work fine).

>     Adapter:                       ATI RADEON RX800
>     Adapter:                       ATI RADEON RX800 Secondary

"The included fglrx driver supports Radeon 8500+ and the X-series cards up
to X1900."

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=423584

Details of how to get ATI cards working on Ubuntu and Edubuntu are here.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Installation_Guide
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Dapper_Installation_Guide