Help me to install edubuntu

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 10:12:16 GMT 2006

Hi,

as you're new to Ubuntu/Edubuntu, the unofficial Ubuntu Guide is well worth
looking through.

	http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Rashedul Haque wrote:

> I live in Bangladesh and a very recent user of ubuntu (an older version).
> Now I want to install edubuntu from web. I tried it several times but
> failed. After 100mb, it restart downloading again. Why it happens?  I am
> using a broad band net with 10 to 30kbps band width.

Presumably some problem between the server you're downloading from and your
desktop but it's very hard to tell.  As someone else said, a download
manager that can resume stopped downloads would be useful.  Picking a
mirror nearer to your location might improve the reliability and/or speed
of the connection.

> Another problem is that I can not play any MP3 file with the software
> given with this.

The MP3 format is patented and the company that owns the patent requires a
license fee be paid by everyone distributing mp3 playing software.  As a
result most of the free software community don't distribute MP3 playing
software.  MP3 is probably the most common though not the only example of
this.  Ubuntu provides extra multimedia codecs in its universe and
multiverse repositories. Installation of these is detailed in the guide:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#How_to_install_Multimedia_Codecs

It looks like gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly is the specific package you need
(it contains libmad0, the mp3 player library) but you might want to install
the others too.