Which hardware?

Herman Bos hbos at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 16 10:23:21 BST 2006

Knut Yrvin wrote:
> 1. To choose a more light weight approach, e.g change the windows
>    manager. Use iceWM or similar in stead of KDE or GNOME.
>
> 2. To clean up and get rid of unnecessary libraries when starting up
>    KDE or GNOME e.g: http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=13039
>    Developers work on the startup times in the GNOME and KDE projects.
>    This improvements is on it's way.
>
> 3. Do smarter booting of the OS. Look at this presentation by
>    Margarita Manterola:
>    http://www.marga.com.ar/~marga/debian/boottime/debconf-boot.pdf
>    (Ubuntu has done smart things already with Dapper ...)
>
> 4. To better utilise the new features in GCC, and clean up application
>    code that is slow or less efficient

I don't see the advantage of "smarter booting". At least we rarely
reboot our terminal servers.

I would say use Epiphany instead of Firefox. Firefox is a monster.

Add more RAM (so more stuff can be cached in RAM). RAM is quite cheap
anyway.

Put your disks in RAID1 (increases your read speed).

--
Herman Bos
hbos at ubuntu.com