Which hardware?

Knut Yrvin knuty at skolelinux.no
Fri Jun 16 15:02:13 BST 2006

Fredag 16 juni 2006 11:23, skrev Herman Bos:
> I don't see the advantage of "smarter booting". At least we rarely
> reboot our terminal servers.

It's schools that often turn off the power on the thin client. The
reason is to save power and to prevent a heat problem. When having 15
thin clients that uses 200 W, it gets really hot in the classroom. Then
faster (or smart) booting gives an effect when using LTSP-clients, and
15 pupils starts up the LTSP-box at once.

> I would say use Epiphany instead of Firefox. Firefox is a monster.

Or Konquerer ;)

The main issue choosing a web browser is the support for plug-ins and
multimedia, and the support for broken html from web sites. If Java,
Flash, Mplayer, decss and other "plugins" is not installed, the
teachers hate you. I'm sorry to say that when it comes to plug-ins
Firefox is the answer, and even then to much job has to be done to
install the plug-ins after the main installation.

I know that Oliver proudly says you should run a script. But to be fair,
with ubuntus resources to much job is done for the end user or a
sys.adm at the schools to please the trade regulations in US, and not
the trade regulation in e.g Nordic contries and EU. And then the
installation is to difficult. It is guides and software out there that
makes things easier but this could be done even more easy:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper
http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/

In the Nordic contries it's the movie and record industry that breaking
the law when preventing people to make computer programs that
interoperates.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article696330.ece
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1342991.ece

It's understandable that Canonical taking the least dominator when
making the *ubuntu distroes, but making computer programs for
interoperability, or for making a plugin that plays media stream or a
encrypted file, is to follow the law in e.g Norway.

So Norwegian and most of the Scandinavian laws protects the consumer
more than the DMCA (of 1998) does in US (where the corporate lobby
organisations owns the politicians where in Norway the are the
consumer, the artists, and the libraries that was listened to). The
ministers for culture in Denmark, Norway and France is pretty clear
the right to fair use even if using DRM, and the consumer authorities
is following this up.

So what I'm saying is that there will be advantages for the user making
the installation of proprietary plug-ins more easy, even if everything
should be replaced asap with free software in general. But were net
there yet :)

Thanks

Knut Yrvin