feedback from a recent installation

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 14:23:30 BST 2006

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> you might like the latest ltsp changelog entry then ;)
>
> ltsp (0.92) edgy; urgency=low
> .
>    * Add a /etc/network/if-up.d/ltsp-keys script to copy the sshkeys
>      on every interface start, make ltsp-update-sshkeys use logger for
>      output, log to syslog and add descriptive error messages. This
>      avoids breakage if the server IP was changed and makes sure the
>      user doesnt need to run ltsp-update-sshkeys separately.

That looks like a reasonable solution alright.

> better error feedback is planned for ldm as well, but that might not
> happen before edgy+1 since our time is very limited this release.

Fair enough.  Once one has set a password on the thin client I guess it's
not _too_ bad, but it's nice to ask a teacher on the phone "can you tell me
the error on the screen".

On another note, I see ldm appears to use blowfish, passing the ssh option:

	-c 'blowfish-cbc,aes128-cbc,3des-cbc'

which is presumably because blowfish is quickest without dropping too much
security?  I guess this lowers the thin client & server cpu usage?