feedback from a recent installation

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 20 13:32:03 BST 2006

hi,
On Mi, 2006-07-19 at 23:57 +0100, Gavin McCullagh wrote:
> My real problem was the fact that ldm just failed silently.  There are many
> possible reasons for a login to fail and an ssh key is not an obvious one
> (to me anyway).  If ldm fails, I think it should ideally print the error
> (eg from ssh) to the text console or preferably a status bar on the X
> screen.  I appreciate that this is probably not trivial to do.
>
> On debian-edu, LTSP clients use syslogd to log back to a file on the
> server.  Generally speaking, this would seem a lot more convenient for
> monitoring and debugging to me.
>
> Anyway, these are small things.  Generally speaking I really I like
> edubuntu.
you might like the latest ltsp changelog entry then ;)

ltsp (0.92) edgy; urgency=low
.
   * Add a /etc/network/if-up.d/ltsp-keys script to copy the sshkeys
     on every interface start, make ltsp-update-sshkeys use logger for
     output, log to syslog and add descriptive error messages. This
     avoids breakage if the server IP was changed and makes sure the
     user doesnt need to run ltsp-update-sshkeys separately.

better error feedback is planned for ldm as well, but that might not
happen before edgy+1 since our time is very limited this release.

ciao
oli