Bug report: bad disk but self-test succeeds

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Dec 16 17:56:16 GMT 2006

Gregory Marton wrote:
> I'm deeply disappointed. I ordered an Edubuntu disk from on-disk as a gift
> for a non-savvy young girl, because it's supposed to be the extra
> friendliest distro on Earth, and somehow it came to me with a big fat
> discouragement during install:
>
> "The CD-ROM does not seem to contain a valid 'Release' file, or that file
> could not be read correctly. You may try to repeat CD-ROM detection, but
> even if it does succeed the second time, you may experience problems later
> in the installation."
>
> This is not exactly evangelism!
>
> The CD's self-test passes, hence the report as a bug.  How should on-disk
> know that the cd won't work if 'Check the CD-ROM(s) integrity' claims that
> the disk is good?  (As an aside, the possessive is missing; I'd reword that
> as 'Check the integrity of the CD-ROM(s)")
>
> I'm glad I insisted on opening the package and testing it before sending it
> on to the young girl in question.  Installation is a very hard problem, and
> this leaves me unimpressed.
>
> Off to try again with a disk I burn after download.

On-disc seem to be an independent business, and in theory the problem
of an unusable cd should go back to them.

keep in mind the shipit facility
https://shipit.edubuntu.org/

better still of course, is your present approach - download and burn
image. I would generally also use the md5sum to verify the quality of
iso file initial download and also after the final burn - to confirm
correct burning.

It is good to keep in mind though that even if a cd burner drive has a
high speed rating, and the blank media used also is high speed, that
the final product may not perhaps be a good quality unless burned at
lower than maximum speed. For example my components are rated as 52x,
however, I never get any errors at 24x speed burn, but occasionally do
get errors at higher speed burns. Often these cds check OK on the
original CD drive. Failures happen on other, probably older drives.

hth
--
alan c
Kubuntu user#10391