spanish character keys

Todd Slater dontodd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 19:08:58 BST 2006

On 8/1/06, James Call <jamescall at gmail.com> wrote:
> While we are talking about Spanish, we had a bad problem last year:
> The students can't write their names in Spanish for example Pérez.
> How can we work around this.   The only thing we could do is use
> google to look up the word the copy/paste.
>
> Does anyone know how to use international characters?? That is one
> really nice thing about windows.  You just type in alt+ascii

Can I assume you're using Gnome? Typing accented characters is
actually pretty easy. Add the Keyboard Indicator applet to the panel,
and then when you right-click it you can open up the keyboard
preferences. Choose US English International (with dead keys), or
whatever layout you desire. You can toggle from among your various
layouts by clicking the applet.

Using US English International (w/ dead keys), to type accented
characters, you type ' + letter, such as ' + e = é, ~ + n = ñ. If you
need to type an actual apostrophe, you'll have to type it twice, i.e.
Tom''s. If I'm not typing in Spanish but just need a letter here and
there, I just toggle back and forth so I don't need to hit the
apostrophe twice, though.

HTH,

Todd