spanish character keys

Mauricio Hernandez Z. mhz.chile at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 00:38:03 BST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 11:38 -0600, James Call wrote:
> While we are talking about Spanish, we had a bad problem last year:
> The students can't write their names in Spanish for example Pérez.
> How can we work around this.   The only thing we could do is use
> google to look up the word the copy/paste.
>
> Does anyone know how to use international characters?? That is one
> really nice thing about windows.  You just type in alt+ascii

In GNOME, under System Preferences (I am not using right now), you add
the Spanish layout keyboard, then add the applet to the menu bar.

Other way, is via commandline (for me it is faster):

$ xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.es   <-- will give you spanish
keyboard. I use English keyboard with that xmodmap option and it means
the layout will change a bit (some keys will print other characters)

$ xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.us  <-- to get it back to english

Regards,

--
Mauricio Hernandez Z.

[Ubuntu Memeber]
mhz at ubuntu.com

www.edubuntu.org
www.ubuntu-cl.org

Cel: (56+8) 749 6071

| servidor: irc.freenode.net     |
| canal: #edubuntu, #edubuntu-es |
| nick: mhz                      |

[Mail escrito sin caracteres especiales para
evitar incompatbilidades entre clientes de correo]

[Para que enviar adjuntos propietarios, si podemos
enviar adjuntos mas livianos y libres?]
[Por favor, evita enviarme .doc .xls .ppt]