ltsp-pnp: issue after install

David Groos djgroos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 03:39:57 UTC 2012

The journey continues!

I'm preping the LTSP server for the new year and excited with the
advancement of ltsp-pnp.  I'm following these directions:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ltsp-pnp, starting from a
blank hard drive.  Due to broken DVD drive, I've installed using a flash
drive.

Things start out fine, but upon running the provided commands:

sudo -iadd-apt-repository --yes ppa:ts.sch.grapt-get updateapt-get
--yes install dnsmasq ltsp-server-standalone ltsp-client
ldm-ubuntu-themeltsp-config dnsmasqecho 'IPAPPEND=3' >>
/etc/ltsp/update-kernels.conf/usr/share/ltsp/update-kernels

and restarting I get a system error/crash, the start of which is shown in
the linked image<http://sci.mpls.k12.mn.us/gcos/knowledge-base/some-of-our-tech-tools/start-of-error-after-running-ltsp-pnp-install-script-and-rebooting/image_view_fullscreen>.
The crash report says there's already a bug report on this issue, thought
the last comment on it is from May 2012 (
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/aptdaemon/+bug/978654).

I've re-installed, this time selecting "no" during the configuring stage,
but still getting the same system crash.  One thing I noticed while the
script was running in terminal was this line (which I've copied for here):

> dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in
> use                [fail]

Any ideas/how people have dealt with this?

Thanks,
David