[ubuntu-art] The Breathe Icon Set is up for grabs

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 20 01:18:30 UTC 2010

Hi Cory

On 19/09/2010 19:36, Cory K. wrote:
> Holy Hell. I started this set 2 years ago?
> https://launchpad.net/breathe-icon-set Wow. I do feel old. :P (another
> reference:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2008-September/007559.html)
>
> Anyhow, life got complicated as it does for many of us and I have not
> been able to make a commit since December of last year. (pretty sad) I
> am working on a part-time basis with the Studio folks again and just
> cannot take on any more. Especially since Sebastian who defined the look
> early cannot come back as well.
>
> That said, I'm offering the project to anyone who can demonstrate that
> they can do something with it. At the very least, I'd give it over to
> someone who can hold it in trust. Maybe Thorsten or Ken? IDK.
>
> The project has alot of info and work generated. It would be a shame to
> let it languish.

I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but Edubuntu currently uses the
Breathe theme as its default theme. We chose it because it's fresh,
colourful and descriptive and is much more modern than the Gartoon theme
that we used before (but still include).

I noticed while working with it that some icons are quite outdated. In
particular, some icons refer to old Ubuntu design elements including
lots of brown where there shouldn't be now (like the show desktop icon).

If you can't find a dedicated artist to maintain it, I'll be willing to
at least give it an update to be more appropriate for the newer versions
of Ubuntu. We could also add the package's bugs to the official list of
Edubuntu bugs that we track.

Let me know what you think!

-Jonathan