Brainstorming for UDS-N - Edubuntu

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 5 18:16:55 UTC 2010

Hi David

On 30/09/2010 17:19, David Groos wrote:
> Jonathon, thanks for including all in the visioning with these e-mails.

I'll spare you from my how-to-spell-jonathan page this time :)

> You mentioned, 'new iTALC'.  Have you had a look at Alkis' sch-scripts?
> Sounds like a bunch of scripts maybe but as a teacher when I look at it
> I see a straight forward gui interface that does a *lot* of what I need
> it to do.  Not only does it do the 'lock screen' and "share screen",
> logout and shutdown stuff, but it has a menu option to edit lts.conf,
> update-ltsp-image and a bunch of other maintenance stuff.  It is easily
> 500% quicker than iTALC and... I've gotten everything to work.  Always,
> something I never achieved with iTALC over the 2 years I used it.  It
> has rough edges--some of the stuff is in Greek which I can't read, but
> all the stuff you need to read (menu options and buttons) is in
> English.  I recommend you try it if it 'fits the bill' for you.  Alkis
> has a page or two about installing it...

I haven't looked at it yet, but I've heard a lot about it and seen some
screenshots. I think there's a few things that will happen before we
could consider it for inclusion in Edubuntu. It should be able to
support translations, and at least have an upstream release somewhere so
that we could package it. It also depends on iTALC's future, I believe
it may be due for a rewrite at some point.

Alkis, is there a project page for sch-scripts somewhere?

-Jonathan