Brainstorming for UDS-N - Edubuntu

Alkis Georgopoulos alkisg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 18:37:27 UTC 2010

Στις 05-10-2010, ημέρα Τρι, και ώρα 14:16 -0400, ο/η Jonathan Carter
(highvoltage) έγραψε:
> I haven't looked at it yet, but I've heard a lot about it and seen some
> screenshots. I think there's a few things that will happen before we
> could consider it for inclusion in Edubuntu. It should be able to
> support translations, and at least have an upstream release somewhere so
> that we could package it. It also depends on iTALC's future, I believe
> it may be due for a rewrite at some point.
>
> Alkis, is there a project page for sch-scripts somewhere?

The code is there:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~sch-devs/sch-scripts/trunk/

but as you said, the project is not ready for inclusion to Edubuntu yet.
We had very limited time to make it for 10.04 so it lacks some
significant features:
 * i18n support
 * separation of the "generally useful" stuff from our local
   configuration - we'd need to split our configuration to another
   package before it can be broadly used

Also, for the next 2 years the main developers are occupied elsewhere,
so we'll be continuing its development after that time.
The good news is that most of us are teachers using it daily on our
classrooms, so it'll be supported for a very long time, unless a better
classroom administration tool emerges.

> It also depends on iTALC's future, I believe it may be due for a
> rewrite at some point.

An iTalc 2.0 partial rewrite was schedule for some years ago, I do hope
it's finally implemented but even if it is, we'll continue
using/developing our tool because it's much better integrated to LTSP
(live autodetection, chroot management etc), it offers some capabilities
that teachers need (mass user creation, video multicasting etc), it
needs less RAM (1 MB so it can run on 64MB thin clients too), it has
much better speed etc.

More news in 2 years, :-)
Alkis