flash plugin becoming less important?

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 15:38:04 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've been reading recently of how various vendors, notably Google and Apple
are pushing to use new features of HTML5 to avoid the Flash plugin for
situations like video playing.  Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome are all
implementing HTML5 at present.

	http://lifehacker.com/5416100/how-html5-will-change-the-way-you-use-the-web

Youtube is already testing videos played through HTML5 instead of Flash and
by all accounts the performance is markedly better -- though only Safari
and Chrome are supported just now.

	http://www.youtube.com/html5

This seems like good news for LTSP and the Linux desktop in general.   What
must likely be the most common piece of proprietary software on linux
desktops may become less of a requirement.  I for one will crack open a
bottle of bubbly (beer) when I can remove the flash plugin from my desktop.

Gavin