My ideas for Ubuntu 10.10 (maverick)

Veli-Matti Lintu veli-matti.lintu at opinsys.fi
Wed Apr 21 09:18:37 UTC 2010

ma, 2010-04-19 kello 18:03 +0200, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)
kirjoitti:

> Here are my ideas so far, they might not all be good for the next or
> even any release, but it's what I have in my list so far:

> 11. OpenLDAP(+kerberos?)
>
> There's been quite a few failed attempts at getting turn-key
> authentication services in Ubuntu/Edubuntu. There are some renewed
> efforts into this and we could probably include some scripts in the
> edubuntu scripts branch if it isn't packagable.

We are working on better LDAP/kerberos setup automation and user
management tools as I mentioned last week. Our primary goal is to extend
kerberos single-sign-on to web applications that can be hosted anywhere
to integrate the web applications to the desktop experience. For this
there are quite a few protocols like CAS/OpenID/OAuth/SAML that can be
used to authenticate Moodle/Mediawiki/Zimbra/GoogleApps/Elgg and other
web applications used in schools over here.

I read through quite a few of the old blueprints in Launchpad and
collected them in a table here. Unfortunately most of the blueprints
have been just collecting dust for years. There's also an overview image
of our authentication setups:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/itch-for-better-user-management-in-ubuntu

One of the main differences in our new tools compared to old plans is
the ability to handle many school districts with many schools within a
single installation. This supports our model where every school has
their own people taking care of user accounts, but they necessarily
don't even know what LDAP is.

The plan was to have the code out by now, but it'll still take some days
before we get to that. This is something that we'll be working on during
the next months and we can spend time on getting things in Ubuntu also.

As I've been going through the setup process, I've been writing in the
blog about it:

http://www.opinsys.fi/en/setting-up-openldap-on-ubuntu-10-04-alpha2

Veli-Matti