How to connect an Edubuntu workstation to a Skolelinux server via LDAP?

tlang80 at gmail.com tlang80 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 02:16:24 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if any one on this list knows how to connect an Edubuntu
workstation to a Skolelinux server via LDAP?

There are probably some files to edit.  The directions I've received from
another person are as follows (but myself and another peron get an error
where the skolelinux server recognizes the user on the edubuntu workstation,
but asks for the password twice and then just goes to a black screen.

*Can anyone find an error with the instructions below?*  These instructions
are supposed to allow an edubuntu workstation to connect to a skolelinux
server via LDAP so the user can store data on the skolelinux server.

apt-get install nfs-common ldap-utils libpam-ldap libnss-ldap nscd

> echo "tjener:/skole/tjener/home0 /skole/tjener/home0 nfs timeo=14,intr
> 0  0" >> /etc/fstab
>

> Then you need to edit a few files (with Ubuntu you need to merge the
> following two or three into /etc/ldap.conf I think):
>
> cat /etc/pam_ldap.conf
> host ldap
> ssl start_tls
> bind_policy soft
> timelimit 1
> bind_timelimit 1
> base ou=People,dc=skole,dc= skolelinux,dc=no
> ldap_version 3
> pam_filter objectclass=posixAccount
> pam_password exop
>
> cat /etc/libnss-ldap.conf
> host ldap
> base dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no
> ldap_version 3
> bind_policy soft
> timelimit 1
> bind_timelimit 1
> rootbinddn cn=admin,ou=People,dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no
> nss_base_passwd ou=People,
> nss_base_group ou=Group,
> nss_base_netgroup ou=Netgroup,
>
> cat /etc/ldap/ldap.conf
> BASE dc=skole,dc=skolelinux,dc=no
> HOST ldap
> TLS_REQCERT never
> TLSCACERT /etc/ldap/ssl/ldap-server-pubkey.pem
>
> cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
> passwd:         files   ldap
> group:          files   ldap
> shadow:         files   ldap
> netgroup:       files   ldap
> automount:      files   ldap
> hosts:          files   dns
> networks:       files
> protocols:      db files
> services:       db files
> ethers:         db files
> rpc:            db files
>
> cat /etc/security/group.conf
> *; *; *; Al0000-2400; audio,cdrom,floppy,fuse,plugdev,video,scanner
>
> cat /etc/pam.d/common-account
> account sufficient      pam_ldap.so
> account required        pam_unix.so
>
> cat /etc/pam.d/common-auth
> auth    optional        pam_group.so
> auth    sufficient      pam_unix.so shadow nullok_secure
> auth    required        pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
>
> cat /etc/pam.d/common-password
> password        sufficient pam_ldap.so
> password        required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure md5

Thanks!!

Tim