Some clients not booting (that used to boot in Hardy)

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 03:09:03 UTC 2009

2009/3/17 Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com>

> I have just upgraded Hardy to Intrepid with LTSP backports from Stefane.
> On the server I added ppa repository, then apt-get update then apt-get
> install ltsp-standalone-server
> I moved the old changeroot (actually I deleted it. It would have been
> interesting to try the old one again.) then ran ltsp-build-client to create
> a new client changeroot.
>

> I have two types of clients: ones that work and ones that don't.
> The ones that work are P4 with 256MB RAM.
>
> The ones that don't work are Compaq Deskpro EN Series SFF P2 400MHz 64MB
> RAM. These worked fine with Hardy (ltsp 5) and K12LTSP (ltsp 4.2)
> Tried with 128 MB RAM. Still failed.
>
> The ubuntu flash screen comes up then freezes part way across.
>
> Pressing Alt-ctrl-F1 reveals..this is the error message
>
> Negotiation: ..size = 175556KB
> bs=1024, sz=175556
> Kernel call returned: Broken pipe Reconnecting
> Negotiation: ..size = 175556KB
> Error: Ioctl/1.1a failed: Bad file descriptor
>
> Any ideas what might be wrong?
> Size = 175556KB seems a worry. It is much more than the RAM on the machine.
>
> Can I downgrade to the Intrepid ltsp packages and see if they will work? Is
> it possible to use Hardy changeroot?

I  tried this fix from another thread.
In my case(ubuntu 8.10), the problem was caused by the
ltsp-client-setup init script. I solved the issue by comenting out the
stuff about NBD

configure_nbd() {
   # Restart nbd so -persist will work
   nbdcmd=`pgrep -l -f "/dev/nbd0 -persist" | cut -d " " -f "2-"`
   if [ -n "$nbdcmd" ]; then
       nbd-client -d /dev/nbd0
       sleep 0.5s
       nbd-client -c /dev/nbd0
       if [ "$?" = "1" ]; then
           $nbdcmd
       fi
   fi
}

I commented out this part and got a bit further. This is the error I have
now.

Setting up LTSP client...
Disconnecting: que, disconnect, sock, done
[   30.519994] nbd0: Receive control failed (result -32)
Kernel call returned: Broken pipe Reconnecting
Negotiation: ..size = 175556KB
Error: Ioctl/1/1.a failed: Bad file descriptor

Any clues how to fix this?