gpaint switch to kolourpaint

Jordan Mantha laserjock at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 14 16:28:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 6:20 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com> wrote:
> A couple of us have been comparing gpaint and kolourpaint4, and the
> latter is a far better choice, resembling pbrush a little more closely
> and seeming to run more stable. I'd like to propose, therefore,
> changing the seed to contain kolourpaint4 instead of gpaint. It is
> already in main so this should not be a problem.
> Whatchall think?

What I've already done is to keep gpaint in edubuntu-desktop and put
kolourpaint4 in edubuntu-desktop-kde. One question is how this effects
the app bundles. I think ideally what we should do is put the common,
educational, applications in the app bundles and leave the peripheral,
not-strictly-educational apps for the edubuntu-desktop packages. Any
thoughts on that?

In this case I think we need a good, simple paint program and the app
bundles where we'd put kolourpaint would already have KDE libraries so
we're not adding additional dependencies. While gpaint isn't totally
dead upstream we have a number of serious bugs in Launchpad, whereas
kolourpaint seems largely bugfree in Launchpad and has an active
upstream as far as I know. So, unless there is an objection I'll be
putting kolourpaint4 instead of gpaint in the app bundles.

-Jordan