[schooltool-dev] Configuration issues for schools

Tim Holy tim.holy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 19:05:32 UTC 2009

Hi David,

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM, David Van Assche <dvanassche at gmail.com>wrote:

> The biggest problem we currently have is that the tux4 kids suite,
> being based on SDL, totally freezes LTSP deployments, which are the
> hear of edubuntu/ubuntu deployments for schools worldwide. For kde, it
> needs to be much more qt based.... but thats another issue.. the main
> issue is that the minute we enable sound with any SDL app, the LTSP
> server comes to a halt crashing every terminal connected.

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware that the issues had been
localized to problems with sound---I was assuming it's just due to the
frequency with which large chunks of the screen are being updated. I've run
TuxMath over a network, and it's visibly slower.

You know that TuxMath can be configured to not use sound, right? (It sounds
like you know that.) Does that help? Or not enough? Or is it that you really
want sound? My fear is this is more of an SDL issue than anything we
specifically can do, but if you think otherwise I'm interested in looking
into it.

Thanks,
--Tim