Ltsp-localapps /kioskmode + vlc 09.4 crash

Reiner Schmid reischmid at gmx.de
Mon Oct 27 17:47:51 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am a fan of videostreaminig from the server to the thin clients.
In Gutsy/Hardy I used the script Ltsp-Plugin (sudo ltsp-build-client
--kiosk --base /opt/ltsp-kiosk/) and used vlc in place of "firefox" for
streaming.
It worked fine, so my students could listen to the videos by headphones.
(But also the students used the "normal" Edubuntu-Client-Mode" to write
letter, play games ....)

Now I did the same with IntrepidRC
I tried ltsp-localapss with firefox, flashplugin-nonfree and vlc and
mozilla-plugin-vlc.
Wonderful I was able to see videos from web supported by the vlcplayer
0.9.4 (example: Mediathek of zdf.de) working local in the memory of client.

But later I tried to send a vlc stream from my server to my client
(enough memory 512 MB) with http://192.168.0.254:8080
Only for a second I could see the received stream on my client, also sound,
but after the second it crashed with the message
(....BadAlloc Insufficient resources for the operation X Error of failed
request....Major opcode of failed request: 140 XVideo)
The stream was ok, I received it with a WinMachine. Also I examined the
free local memory of the client: > 200MB free ...

So I created a kiosk mode, installed vlc in place of firefox, but the
same problem, the same messages.

Could someone help me?

Thanks

Reiner