How to map network drive ??

Gavin McCullagh gmccullagh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 10:47:23 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008, oedha at netscape.net wrote:

> then i tried to use smbfs........first, i made /media/x
> and put this line to fstab : //citserver/shared smbfs rw 0 0

That wouldn't work actually, so I suspect you did:

//citserver/shared /media/x smbfs rw 0 0

I would suggest you use "cifs" instead of "smbfs" as the former is newer
and better.

> all application can show this mapping link on their save as dialog box
> but........the problem now......this folder is read only.........
> i also changed it to 777 by chmod(no effect)......

First, type "mount" and make sure that the mount entry says "rw" not "ro".

The likely problem is that the share is mounted read-write but only
accessible by root.

//citserver/shared /media/x cifs rw,gid=users,ode=0770,dir_mode=0770 0 0

This should mount the share with full permissions for everyone in the group
"users".  You could make the modes 0777 which would give all accounts full
access, but the users group is probably slightly safer.

Gavin