Filed bug, but developers decided not to fix

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Sep 7 13:05:49 UTC 2007

I filed the following bug a few weeks ago at launchpad.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/123808

Basically the bug indicates that with network bonding enabled and I am sure this could
happen in other instances, the NetworkManager applet pops up on clients allowing users
to change the IP address of the server thus crashing the entire system.  This happens
with non-priveleged users with no admin password even asked for.

I saw this as a huge bug, but apparently the devels that look at the report just said I
shouldn't have NetworkManager installed on a server....duh!  I of course removed the
applet so users could not get access to it.  But a fix should still be put into place,
such as not including it by default in Edubuntu.  Not a good thing for a school to
install a fresh new Edubuntu server assuming safety with the defaults, just to have a
student change IP's and crash all clients (in my case 108 machines could go down
simultaneously with the default setup).

Please someone fix this.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch