Getting involved

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Wed Sep 5 16:29:55 UTC 2007

daniel Newman wrote:
> Hi, I have been looking into Linux and computer programming for
> the past few month. I want to get involved with developing a OS.

When you say "developing a OS", do you mean contributing to some of the
applications that the os runs?  Or developing the kernel itself?

> Does anybody know some good tutorials/resources and programs
> to use to get involved.

The O'Reilly book "Understanding the Linux Kernel" is a good place
to start.  W. Richard Stevens, has several books, all of which
are, quite frankly, must haves.

UNIX Network Programming, Volume 2, Second Edition: Interprocess Communications
UNIX Network Programming, Volume 1, Second Edition: Networking APIs:
TCP/IP Illustrated, Volumes 1, 2, and 3
Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment
UNIX Network Programming

It's unfortunate he's passed away, since his books are, quite frankly,
in a class by themselves.

> It is also important to note that at the moment I am not ready to 'switch'
 > to Linux and I just want to develop from my Microsoft Vista computer.

Gonna be kind of hard to develop for Linux from a Windows box. :)

> Like a good computer language to develop in for a start.

Take your pick.  C and/or C++, Python and Perl would be good places
to start.

Good luck,
Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department |  especially towards the end."