Spec List for UDS Boston for Edubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron - Feedback

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Oct 25 14:25:37 UTC 2007

> We'd like you to send your * 5 most desired features * in a feedback
> email to this list so that we can use the feedback to gauge priority.

I'm going to assume that you want us to pick from the list below to help fine tune
priority.  I have posted a bunch on the UDS wiki that David Trask made
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EdubuntuIdeasForBoston).  If I am incorrect then pull some
ideas from that wiki.  Below is my gut on what is most important to work on as a team in
one room, others are still needed, but I think these would be best when everyone
physically together and can quickly bounce ideas off each other.

1 loacalapps
2 profile & network session management
   - Sabayon needs to be standard and easy
   - management (italc and the like)
3 edubuntu-user-management
4 thin-client manager improvements
5 GUI frontends for ltsp-tools

This, to me, should be more as a rule of thumb, rather than a hack session focus.
 * edubuntu needs to be focused on as a high load server
   - depending on CD decision

To me this is needed, but not too important...yet.  After all, how often do the packages
in the client tree need to change.  But if local application support can be developed,
this will become a necessity.  So I say put the focus now on local apps, then work on this.
 * ltsp-update-manager-integration

I don't fully understand what this would improve.  However, if it would improve local
devices to the point that digital cameras and usb hubs would be recognized, I would bump
this up on my list.  If it is only to improve how local devices are handled in non-stock
uses of Edubuntu, then I say this can wait.
 * ltsp: virtual-haldevices

Well, there is my 2 cents.  I hope one of these times I'll be able to afford attending.
 I would love to see the process of how things shake down with so many brilliant minds
working together.

Jim