Does Open Source make life easy????

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Wed Nov 14 15:41:39 UTC 2007

Does anyone think local installs of Knoppix or Damn Small Linux running from a local HD
or flash drive in these laptops would be a good suggestion?  Something like this would
loose some eye-candy but should run great with the stated hardware.  Then the wireless
could be used for Internet Access, Central Auth (LDAP), and possibly NFS homes such as
Gavin suggested.  There are many solutions for mass cloning that I'm sure could be
figured out fairly quick.

If you wanted to stick with an Ubuntu derivative I'd definitely stick with Xubuntu.
This will run much better with a local install than Ubuntu or Kubuntu.  The window
manager is largely what limits your hardware.  I've ran Xubuntu on an 800Mhz PIII with
256RAM and it performed fairly well.  I too would not suggest trying to run any type of
LTSP over wireless, you'll end up writing another letter of frustration :-)

Jim

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:42:10 +0200, CET wrote