Does open source make life easy??????

CET cet at africaonline.co.sz
Tue Nov 13 10:47:53 UTC 2007

Dear all

When I first heard about open source and the explanation given I thought
that was the way to go. We were told open source is good for refurbished
computers, it enhance the performance of older machines. But if you look at
the way new versions come out then you see that new computers should be used
now. Then what is the difference between Microsoft and open source? In both
software, you need better machines or even the top of the range machines.

Since I joined this list I read people saying the many different problems
they encounter when trying to do something in open source and I am a victim
of that. The lack of compatibility with Microsoft is the most serious
challenge, which I plead with the developers to do something about it. For
example if you write a document in Open Office you can't open it in Ms Word.
That on its own does not encourage anyone to continue using open source.

In my own thinking I would expect open source to be friendlier to all both
novice and gurus. As it is right now open source is a thorn in the flesh and
it frustrates, it stresses and it does all the sorts of negative things that
you can think of.

 If you need help there is nowhere you can get it, you search in the
internet for help but nothing, nothing. You can spend the whole day and
tomorrow searching but you can't find anything. Someone was trying to help
me, I was surprised that it was all about knowing the source codes, but
where do you get a programming manual to learn the source codes?

Another thing for concern is the numerous types of Linux, are the developers
competing among themselves? These different Linux are confusing to the users
or people who want to get into Linux.  How do you choose the right one? You
end up spending money buying CDs that don't help at the end.

I am not writing may be because I hate open source, I love it, in fact I
want to put it in all the schools in my country, in my laptop I am using
open office its only that I want to voice my suffering.

I wish somebody could correct me and tell me that open source makes life
easy.

Cheers

Sibongile Kunene

cet at africaonline.co.sz