Does open source make life easy??????

Scott Balneaves sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca
Tue Nov 13 15:21:32 UTC 2007

CET wrote:
> Dear all
>

> When I first heard about open source and the explanation given I thought
> that was the way to go. We were told open source is good for refurbished
> computers, it enhance the performance of older machines. But if you look at
> the way new versions come out then you see that new computers should be used
> now. Then what is the difference between Microsoft and open source? In both
> software, you need better machines or even the top of the range machines.

Well, certainly, as time goes along, more and more features get added to Free
alternatives to Microsoft, driving up the base requirements.  However, most
Free operating systems have requirements that are lower than their commercial
counterparts.  For instance, I've run Ubuntu quite nicely on a Pentium III
850mhz machine.  This is far below what is being recommended by commercial
alternatives these days.

> Since I joined this list I read people saying the many different problems
> they encounter when trying to do something in open source and I am a victim
> of that. The lack of compatibility with Microsoft is the most serious
> challenge, which I plead with the developers to do something about it. For
> example if you write a document in Open Office you can't open it in Ms Word.
> That on its own does not encourage anyone to continue using open source.

OpenOffice.org saves, by default, in the internationally recognized standard
ODF (Open Document Format).  This format is recognized by many different
word processors, including WordPerfect Office X3, and a host of Free
alternatives.  It's an open standard that any company may implement.
Microsoft, so far, has steadfastly refused to add ODF support natively to
their word processing products.  As for why, you'd have to contact them.

Fear not, however, as OpenOffice.org can save natively in Word formats using
the standard "Save As" dialogues, and can even be set up to DEFAULT to saving
in Word format, saving users from the trouble of having to have a separate
"Save As" operation.

We use this quite extensively, and constantly trade documents back and forth
between Word and OpenOffice.org.

> In my own thinking I would expect open source to be friendlier to all both
> novice and gurus. As it is right now open source is a thorn in the flesh and
> it frustrates, it stresses and it does all the sorts of negative things that
> you can think of.

Well, like what?  Quite a lot of people use Free software, and use it just
fine.  There are always some problems with hardware, and we in the Free
software community work very hard to try to make things as compatible as
possible, but sometimes it simply can't be done, usually because a hardware
manufacturer simply won't supply the information we need to write proper
drivers for some hardware.  Many wireless cards have this problem.  The
simplest way around it is to buy hardware that is well supported in Linux.
For instance, currently, the Intel graphics chipsets, and wireless chipsets
are VERY well supported in Linux, so buying a laptop, or desktop machine with
these chipsets will result in Linux just working "out of the box".

>  If you need help there is nowhere you can get it, you search in the
> internet for help but nothing, nothing. You can spend the whole day and
> tomorrow searching but you can't find anything.

Here I'm going to take you to task.  This is just utterly, patently not
true.  There's simply LOADS of information out there for Free software.
Mailing lists, IRC channels, manuals, HOWTO sites, Wiki pages.  There's
simply a WEALTH of information available.  I have YET to have a problem
that I couldn't find the answer to, or at the very least, find a mailing
list or IRC channel that had someone who COULD tell me the answer.

Of course, I notice you make this statement without telling us WHAT
problem you're having, exactly.  Please reply with what problem you're
having that you think there's no information on.

> Someone was trying to help
> me, I was surprised that it was all about knowing the source codes, but
> where do you get a programming manual to learn the source codes?

A bookstore, a college course, etc.  But you probably don't NEED them,
but without knowing what your problem is, it's impossible to say.

> Another thing for concern is the numerous types of Linux, are the developers
> competing among themselves? These different Linux are confusing to the users
> or people who want to get into Linux.  How do you choose the right one? You
> end up spending money buying CDs that don't help at the end.

Another thing for concern is the numerous types of cars, are the car
manufacturers competing among themselves?  These different cars are confusing
to the drivers, or people who want to get into driving.  How do you choose the
right one? You end up spending money on a car that isn't what you really wanted
in the end.

One size doesn't fit all.  We give you choice, just like the car manufacturers.
  But unlike the car manufacturers, we let you try our stuff for free.

> I wish somebody could correct me and tell me that open source makes life
> easy.

Consider yourself corrected.  I save roughly $650,000 CDN per year over
commercial software by using Free software.  I can support it better, fix it
easier, modify it to my needs, and be actively involved in developing it
so that it more readily does the things I want it to do.  I am now an
active participant in the software that I use in my business, and my
personal life.  That's value.

Scott

--
Scott L. Balneaves | "Eternity is a very long time,
Systems Department |  especially towards the end."