can't access tty; job control turned off

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Sun Jan 21 03:24:00 UTC 2007

For whatever reason, we got this error when booting thin clients using
our freshly-installed Edubuntu (edgy) server yesterday.

Thankfully, I could ALT+F1 to tty1 and see that it was having trouble
mounting /opt/ltsp/i386 on the server. (I believe the error was
"permission denied".)

As a first guess, I restarted NFS on the server:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart

Then I rebooted the thin client and everything was fine.

I now wish that I had done some more troubleshooting first, to know
WHY the NFS server was denying permission...but I didn't.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/