Edubuntu rocking the [school]house (David Trask)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Sun Jan 21 03:18:34 UTC 2007

> From: "David Trask" <dtrask at vcsvikings.org>
> Subject: Re: Edubuntu rocking the [school]house

> >3. Immediately after installation, apt-get install linux-image-generic
> >   and make sure it's the default kernel in /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >   (otherwise you'll only use one of your CPUs).
> Did you contact Oli (ogra) about this?  Just curious as many of us use
> dual-porcessor servers for LTSP servers.

Yes, and there's a very good reason. There is only room for one kernel
on the install CD (note that Edubuntu has only ONE installation CD,
whereas even regular, non-LTSP Fedora has...5(?)), and that kernel
must run on both the server AND the thin clients. I'm not sure why SMP
support cannot be included in the 386-compatible kernel, but that's
the state of things now.

The two-CD spec, when implemented, will allow for an additional kernel
to be included.

> >The only thing this doesn't provide (to my knowledge) is Flash WITH
> >SOUND on TCs. Flash itself works fine, but you can't hear it. Other
> >media formats all play fine, AFAIK.
> Contact Gadi (Gideon Romm) on this....he has a script to take care of
> that.  I have it working fine on my installation.

Gadi's tarball is for stock LTSP; Edubuntu is different and by default
configures much (if not all) of what Gadi's scripts do. The difference
is that post-Breezy Firefox doesn't use esddsp, and even when I run
'esddsp firefox' I still get complaints about ALSA stuff, and I simply
haven't had time to figure out why yet.

See https://launchpad.net/bugs/29760 .

I could re-enable esd support for Firefox on our systems, but I'm not
sure I want to -- it makes FF crashy, as the above URL attests. (We
had users complaining about suspicious FF crashes when we were running
K12LTSP5.)

BTW, we switched the HS to Edubuntu just yesterday, so we'll see how
that goes when the kids hit our servers on Monday. *WHAM!* :-)

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/