Another idea-Re: Edgy+1 : Planning for the next Edubuntu version

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 31 16:04:24 UTC 2006

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 31.10.2006, 14:48 +0000 schrieb Stuart Ellis:
> Hi,
>
> I was just going back through mail, and I thought that I'd pass this on,
> in case you weren't already aware of it:
>
> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/easy-ldap-server
>
> The "Ubuntu Directory Services Team" is a group that has just formed to
> develop single sign-on for Ubuntu systems (with point and click :) ).
> LDAP, Kerberos, and Samba components all need to be worked on.
> Membership is open to anyone with an interest, and I'm sure that you
> would be very welcome:
>
> https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-directory
>
> This team was only recently announced, but we have about forty people
> signed up so far.
>
> The page doesn't say, but UDS discussions are currently happening on the
> #ubuntu-directory IRC channel.
you might also look at
https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/edubuntu-network-auth-server

we'll likely go with a similar solution for edubuntu since its well
established (and indeed tested) in the educational realm ...

implementing the network auth spec was promised by several people over
three releases now, if i dont see an 100% implemented solution for
feisty i'll hevaily opt for using whats already there and proven to work
(smbldap) since we promise it since quite some time to the edubuntu
users and its a majorly needed feature in the educational area ...

(also note that edubuntu has to go a bit further than ubuntu since we'll
have to integrate this network auth setup in the default install in a
sane manner through the installer (i.e. having options for a PDC master,
wortkstations and ltsp servers need to be integrated, smbldap is used
and proven to work for all of these already in k12ltsp)

i know that enough people from the ubuntu-directory team as well as the
smbladp upstream developers will be attending in mountainview, so thats
a good base for further discussion ...

in *any* case edubuntu feisty will release with an integrated network
authentication mechanism be it one or the other implementation ... but
if the planned ubuntu network auth still doesnt come to speed we'll have
to go our own way ... lets see how the discussions turn out at UDS ;)

ciao
	oli