openmosix clusterin

James Call jamescall at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 16:29:36 UTC 2006

I have a question that may show my ignorance.

I was just browsing around this weekend and I ran across openmosix (
http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/ ). As I understand it, this is
basically clustering software, that spreads the cpu usage across the
network.  I even found a few things on the internet about LTSP and
openmosix.

Here is the question:
Wouldn't it make sense to make edubuntu run on this type of a system?
It seems that in theory, the server could be anything with a bunch of
memory and the terminals would provide all the processing power.  That
means that when Billy is looking at a web page (super low cpu) Susy
could be making an object in Blender (very high cpu).  It seems that
in a lot of developing countries (read Mexico) you could use all these
old P3s to make some super sweet clusters.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth getting involved with?

Thanks, James

--

Thanks, James