Edgy+1: Edubuntu for Secondary Schools & Edubuntu for Universities

Kevin Cole kjcole at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 18 21:54:48 UTC 2006

Richard Weideman wrote:

> * if you are involved at a Secondary or Tertiary level what would you
> like to see ?

For researchers and graduate students and researchers who are NOT in
the field of mathematics or computer science, TeX, LaTeX, LyX, etc
aren't quite friendly enough when customizing to very specific dissertation
requirements, or journal requirements.

More statistical packages, please sir! ;-)  I dunno what progress is
being made on PSPP (the GNU answer to SPSS) but that would be welcome
around here.

> ** if you are involved at a Secondary or Tertiary level, and are using
> vanilla Ubuntu with your own choice of application installs, what do you
> already have running that is proving useful to the educators and
> learners ?

Tiddlywiki, bibtex, and I know people who are taking advantage of some
of the audio/video apps as research tools.  I forget the specifics,
but will try to get them to you.

--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/

           ". ! 1 |" -- Rene Magritte's computer