[Fwd: Re: Edubuntu: Gallium vs. Kalzium]

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 1 22:58:13 UTC 2006

Am Sonntag, den 01.10.2006, 16:33 +0200 schrieb Edward Holcroft:
> Oliver Grawert wrote:
> > this mail is one of the morte ffiendly ones
> >
> !
> > i was voting for having kdeedu in edubuntu from the beginning and was
> > fighting for having the best of both worlds on our CD (even though i
> > moan about every app i have to drop with every new release due to the
> > space constraints this gives us) but that mail attack from the kde side
> > against me personally (about a tech problem we try to solve) starts
> > really making me reconsider my opinion here.
> >
> Are you saying that because of these mails you will show those kdeedu
> guys? What kind of silly threat is that? This is an emotive terrain as
> any project lead should know. Your role in this type of issue is to
> quell flame wars if they become unhealthy, not intensify them with
> threats of "reconsidering your opinion".
when did i say i'd be "reconsidering my opinion" ??

all that i'm saying is that i'm disappointed in the behavior of the
people in the community, i'd never had expected mails like i've gotten
in the last days about a topic i'm not even involved with ... and be
sure you dont want to know what was written in some of them ...

> ... on the other hand, how about the DVD/multiple CD version of Edubuntu
> that some of us have been calling for since day one of this list. Then
> there'd be space for so many more great apps. That's what this argument
> should bring about in my view.
multiple CDs wont be shipped through shipit simply due to costs. our
majority of users lives in areas where you neither have the bandwith to
download a DVD nor find DVD writers (or even readers)... do you really
want exclude these people from edubuntu ?

we'll surely discuss the problem at the next conference again (as we do
at every conference) but there is no easy solution to it and i refuse to
exclude people from using edubuntu ...

ciao
	oli