Greetings!

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Tue May 16 16:07:19 UTC 2006

On 5/16/06, "Simón A. Ruiz" <sruiz at mccsc.edu> wrote:
> Kevin Driscoll wrote:
> > Simón,
> >
> > Your classroom sounds incredible (and the 10 minute re-image is
> > outstanding.)  Are you communicating with other schools in Indiana
> > with this same 1:1 grant?  What experiences are they having?  It would
> > be a big step to get all of those labs coordinating.
>
> Honestly, the communication between schools involved in this grant isn't
> up to the standard where I believe they should be.
>
> I'm working on developing a Wiki (currently only available on our
> internal network) documenting my implementation of Linux (I've been told
> so far that we're the only school using Edubuntu) that I hope to make
> public to benefit anyone it can benefit. I'm hoping next school year
> (when 100 more schools are coming on board this project, right now we're
> one of 24), either I or someone takes the responsibility for creating a
> method of communication and sharing between the schools.

Simón,

I think that a wiki (or a blog) is a great idea.  This Indiana
initiative is by far the biggest free software deployment in US
schools, and at the same time, seemingly a state secret.  Very little
news about this project has gotten out to the rest of the open source
community in the US, which is bad for Indiana and for the rest of the
community.

It sounds like you're doing excellent work at your school.

--Tom