Mailing list name

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 27 12:10:22 UTC 2006

hi,
Am Montag, den 27.03.2006, 13:56 +0200 schrieb Edward Holcroft:
> This is an  artificial distinction. Are developers not users? Can a
> user not be a developer? How would you expect the content of mails to
> differ between these lists?
sure he/she can, but edubuntu is the only ubuntu distro that only has
this one list, all other follow the namig scheme of having -users,
-devel and the localized lists

> What would be the purpose of such a split? It's not like this is a
> busy list. Usually one considers this when a list becomes too busy to
> follow, although it would have to be really busy to be too much for
> even a moderately experienced list user.
the idea behind the split as i understood it in the pre-last edubuntu
meeting was to give users that are scared by the -devel name an
opportunity to communicate, i agree that the list is *very* low traffic
and not restricted to -devel problems at all, but the name doesnt
indicate that.

> So I guess  vote "no" to a split as currently mooted.
>
> If there just has to be split for some reason, then I would suggest a
> "technical" list, and a "chat" list. A discussion about whether the
> list should be split for example, would fall under "chat".
thats exactly how lists are split in the ubuntu world, a chat list
"-users" and a tech list "-devel" for every ubuntu based distro out
there :)

ciao
	oli