Fwd: Where is Edubuntu today?

Steve Hargadon steve at hargadon.com
Mon Mar 13 17:01:44 UTC 2006

On 3/13/06, Trond Mæhlum <trond at maehlum.net> wrote:

> I have looked at the upcoming Skolelinux 2.0, but I can't get the ltsp
> setup to work. So my question is where is the Dapper release of Edubuntu
> today and what would it support.

I just got back from the CUE.org show in Palm Springs, where we set up
a 48-computer thin client lab to demonstrate to educators.  We used
two identical servers, one with FC4 and one with Ubuntu running thin
client (we use a "booter" machine that just performs the boot
functions and then directs to the appropriate server, running the
Symbiont program with it's easy Webmin interface).

Identical servers, both with 2 GB ram and dual 2GHz Xeon processors
and each providing applications, authentication, and data storage to
24 computers.  Unfortunately, Ubuntu ran much slower than FC4.  We
think it's because the Ubuntu smp kernel may not support
hyperthreading.  I was going to bring this up to the list today
anyway.

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon