Dapper Sound

Alistair Crust alistair at skegnessgrammar.org
Mon Mar 13 20:14:33 UTC 2006

>> -------------------------
>> [Default]
>>       SERVER = 10.35.191.30
>>       XSERVER = auto
>>       SOUND = Y
>>       SCREEN_02 = shell
>>       SCREEN_07 = startx
>> -------------------------
>is there any particular reason that you set XSERVER to auto ? (its
>automatically detected by default)

I refer you back to my previous post Fri, 10 Mar 2006 11:03:57 +0000

>also what kind of customized Xsession setting do you want to run by
>setting startx for SCREEN_07 ?

as part of the above referenced post i found that setting SCREEN_02 =
shell for troubleshooting didn't work, setting SCREEN_01 to startx gave
GDM but I could not type to the screen. I found a link to a possible
bug, hence changing to SCREEN_07:

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/ltsp-utils/+bug/22134

>note that by default console 1-6 are text consoles anyway and that by
>default ldm starts on terminal 7, there is no need to set either in
>lts.conf
>is your desktop server different from the server you use to start the
>clients from ? else this setting isnt needed as well...

No same machine.

>please try with the following lts.conf:
>
>-------------
>[default]
>                SOUND=Y
>-------------
>it should give you working sound (if the client has a soundcard we can
>detect (98% of the cards out there))

I'm using an old Dell Optiplex GX1, (we have 100+ of these for £15 each
so can't be bad). But should be a detectable card... shouldn't it? I'll
check in the morning what card they use.

>> tty=/dev/tty2
>> root at ltsp:/#
>> Ubuntu 6.04 "Dapper Drake" Development Branch ltsp tty2
>>
>> ltsp login:
>>
>as i said several times before, the thin clients dont have any local
>logins enabled, they are using read only filesystems, their only
>purpose
>is to start the X server (and esd if wanted) and run ldm ...
>
>if the lts.conf above doest get you sound working, please file a bug
>against ltsp so i can track it...
>
>ciao
>        oli

will do