Screen Resolution on LTSP client

gctaylor2004-ubuntu at yahoo.com gctaylor2004-ubuntu at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 04:30:52 UTC 2006

How do I force an LTSP client to use a specific
resolution and/or xserver?
What I want (1024x768 ) is not listed on the client in
the dropdown under Preferences > Screen Resolution.
Editing /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/X11/xorg.conf doesn't seem
to help. After editing $LTSP/xorg.conf I see checksum
and/or timestamp errors when the client is booting.  I
thought maybe I needed to update the checksum so I
tried something like md5sum /etc/X11/xorg.conf >
/var/lib/xfree86/xorg.conf.md5sum.  Not sure if I
remember that command correctly.

I've seen references to /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
and I've tried changing and adding various variables
in the file but it doesn't seem to help either.  For
example changing the xserver from auto to ati, added
specific X_HORZSYNC and X_VERTREFRESH amongst other
things I've lost track of. I know the adapter and
monitor will run 1024x768 and FWIW it's an ATI Rage II
PCI.

At this point I'm not sure that I'm even on the right
path.

edbuntu 5.10.
Linux 2.6.12-9-386 #1

Other than the resolution problem it works great.  I'm
quite amazed.  I've never seen a Linux installation
work so well right out of the box, let alone a Linux
thin client installation. :)

Thanks,
Gary

"Just trust yourself, then you will know how to live." -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Faust