Cookbook: Docbook vs. LaTeX

Claude Paroz paroz at email.ch
Tue Jun 13 12:29:49 UTC 2006

Le mardi 13 juin 2006 à 08:35 +0200, Sean Wheller a écrit :
> On Tuesday 13 June 2006 06:56, Susan Stewart wrote:

(...)

> > That said, I'm told that the ubuntu documenters use docbook across the
> > board.  That's both a plus in itself (as consistency is good) and
> > something that suggests there may be benefits to docbook I'm not aware
> > of.  (docbook proponents, this is your cue)
>
> Docbook is presentation neutral and transforms to many target presentational
> formats. It also enables nice integration with the i18n processes.

I would like to enforce this last point. It's very important that
Edubuntu documentation may be translated. It's possible that Latex has
also a toolchain for translation, but I'm sure the toolchain with
Docbook for translation is already functional and well tested (with
other Ubuntu docs on Rosetta).

Claude