DVD?

Alfred Nutile alfred at yurtboy.gotdns.com
Sat Jun 3 11:20:54 UTC 2006

Why would you need dvd. Most linux sytems (Debian, Suse, Redhat) Can be installed via harddrive and NFS.  So you download the software to the server and set it up as it's own repository.  So even if you are install the entire system you do not need a dvd drive.
As far as just programs go even easier since that is all the /etc/apt/sources files is all about. It is a path on a server that is setup in a way that debian computers can pull the files from it and install them (copy, untar, etc) into the right folders.
Here is one example from a search "Making your own repository"
http://mentors.debian.net/
I have note done it before but if let me know if you need help since the more of us working on it the better.
Bandwidth is another problem.  Dial up speeds where used to download cd's but it takes forever and may not work.  It seems there are downloaders that can handle disconnections.  I think wget (command line tool type man wget to learn more) can do this so if the line drops you just start it all up again and it continues where it left off.
Good luck
Alfred Nutile
Alfred Nutile
Alternative Sustainable Technology Solutions
alfred at yurtboy.gotdns.com
http://yurtboy.gotdns.com