Lug Radio Live: Edubuntu interest

Alistair Crust alistair at skegnessgrammar.org
Tue Jul 25 10:56:17 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 08:17 +0800, Jerome Gotangco wrote:
> This is great news indeed. I will add this news bit for the weekly
> newsletter. We're pretty much interested on success stories of
> educational institutions testing and deploying edubuntu as well. If
> you were able to get some contacts, it would be great to know them as
> well.

you can have mine (see signature below), we are a 800+ student grammar
school in Linconlshire, we have been using linux for 3 years now and are
in the process of moving from debian sarge to edubuntu dapper very soon.
I'm trying to get my boss and I to document every thing we do and every
hurdle we come across. In the hope that when I get enough time I can
write it up on a wiki or stick it on fridge.ubuntu.com.

The LugRadio even was outstanding, ubuntu-uk BOF was very very good and
Mark's presentation was beyond great. I just wish my boss had been there
to ask some questions about school-tool and school-bell. We use our own
MIS system (scholarpack) based on zope and python, but my boss knows
more about that than I do (he designs/writes it) so ignore my rambling.

On a side note we are using the edubuntu workstation install at the
moment due to the lack of LDA support, but I understand that there is
some sterling work going on behind the scenes on this for future
releases. It would just be great to have this as a backport or something
if it were to be done before edgy). Another thing that is rather a
problem is that on an edubuntu server install the clients show a
hibernate button when the user goes to logoff/shutdown.. press this, and
the server hibernates.... not good for being out of the box
installation.

If anyone is reading this that knows anything about hacking hardware...
(like a thin client firmware, or psp/xbox) please let me know. We have
250 wyse winterms we have working with linux but its not a pretty
solution and I'd really love to know how to start to hack hardware.

Anyway enough of my rant, I think ubuntu/edubuntu/xubuntu/kubuntu are
all fantastic and we will certainly continue to work with them into the
future at our school.

--
Kind regards
Alistair Crust