Suggestions for Edubuntu Syllabus?

jelkner at divmod.com jelkner at divmod.com
Tue Feb 28 00:18:38 UTC 2006

Hi Susan,

I'm a high school teacher who has been working with my students to create educational materials for several years now.  I would be more than happy to work with you to help get your students going.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:59:56 -0800, Susan Addington <saddingt at csusb.edu> wrote:
>Maybe someone can answer some technical questions.
>
>1. Suppose I decide to put up short "how to" movies: screen captures
>showing how to do various things in a spreadsheet, for example. What  format
>would be best? Quick time? Something else?

Unfortunately, there isn't any easy way to do this yet in the free software world.  The best screen capture programs I've seen run on Windows only, and they save to .swf (flash) format.

This is *definitely* something we will want for Edubuntu in the years ahead, I just don't know how long it will be until the tools exist to make it doable.

>2. It would be interesting to collect student work, and also a good
>opportunity for students to practice writing for public consumption.  Is
>there a good way for students to upload files to somewhere? Should  I be
>worrying about viruses?

You could either collect the work from your students and upload it yourself, or have them upload it directly.  It depends on how often they will be doing it.  I've had several of my students work with me on the open book project (http://ibiblio.org/obp).  Students who get really into it and want to work on the project on a long term basis have been given their own accounts on a publicly accessible server.  Other students just work locally and I upload their work when it is ready.

Let me know more about how your students will be working and I'll try to provide you with more information.

Regarding viruses: they are not generally a problem in the free software world.  You don't have to worry about them.

jeff elkner
open book project & dc ubuntu loco team
http://ibiblio.org/obp
http://dc.ubuntu-us.org/Welcome