ubuntu membership now through edubuntu and new meeting schedule

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 26 14:47:00 UTC 2006

hi all,

as it happens the community council wants to give some of its
responsibilitys away to the derivatives (kubuntu, edubuntu).

this means some changes for us all:

 * change the meeting to a new time schedule (we want to keep the
   wednesday as our meeting day, but to be able to approve new members
   we'll need to offer more timeslots to cover more timezones).

   the proposal we worked out in todays meeting is like that:
   we'll have two timeslots we flip every second meeting, one will be
   held at 10:00 UTC the other at 20:00 UTC

 * we still have our fixed weekly agenda, but switched to a wikipage
   based system like CC and TB do, you can find the page at:
   https://wiki.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuMeetingAgenda so if you have
   special topics you want discussed, please add them in the
   "Additional Topics" area

 * member approvals. edubuntu is now able to approve new
   ubuntu/edubuntu members, if you aim for membership we're able to
   approve you. the same membership rules as for ubuntu apply (need of
   a proven sustained contribution, documenting your work on your
   wikipage, signed code of conduct) and we wont be easier to pass than
   the CC ;). we decided to start with doint membership approvals on
   every first meeting of a month. if you want to apply for memebership
   through edubuntu, see the bottom section of the above mentioned
   agenda wikipage.

 * we will need to build an edubuntu council. for now Jane Weideman and
   myself will take that role, but we both feel that a edubuntu
   community council should have community members indeed, so we'd like
   to have one or two additional members elected by the community to be
   able to voice up against us [1] ;).

please comment on that mail, we're eager for community input on that
issue.

[1] suggestion was that people can nominate themselves, or be nominated
by others, then need somebody seconding them and then get voted upon in
the next meeting. so please if you have ambitions to join the edubuntu
council or want to suggest someone, go ahead !

ciao
	oli