thin client almost there... but not quite

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 2 12:01:03 UTC 2006

Hi John

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 14:52 -0700, john at pblj.net wrote:
> I'm guessing that this has something to do with the graphics cards in
> those old computers. Any ideas? I'm guessing a lts.conf file might help,
> but I'm unsure what variables to include in lts.conf and what values to
> set them to. Help...

The auto-detection of some display cards doesn't always work that well.
You are right about setting up an lts.conf file.

What you need to do is, log in as the admin user on the server, then
press ALT+F2 to get a run dialog, and type:
gksudo "gedit /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf"

Enter your password, you will then be editing a blank text file. Enter
the following in that text file:

# BEGIN TEXT FILE

[default]

XSERVER = vesa

# END TEXT FILE

The "vesa" driver is a slow, unaccelerated driver. But it's good for
testing.

Check which display chip the machine contains, here are some more
examples of drivers you could try:
ati cirrus cyrix fbdev i128 i740 i810 mga neomagic nv r128 radeon
rendition s3 s3virge savage siliconmotion sis tdfx tga trident tseng
vesa vga.

hth.

-Jonathan