Edubuntu and Python education packages and menus...

jelkner at divmod.com jelkner at divmod.com
Tue Sep 13 15:56:09 UTC 2005

Assumption:

Edubuntu should be the world's best platform for learning to program using Python.

Implication:

The following packages should work in Edubuntu and be easy to find/use:

idle
pythoncard
drpython
gvr
boa-constructor
pygame (python2.4-pygame in breezy)

I'm happy to report that all of these packages installed on our Edubuntu system in school.  Over the next few days/weeks I will begin testing them.

Only boa-constructor showed up in the menu (under "Programming"), however.  gvr, drpython, and idle did not.

Oliver asked me to report the gvr issue as a bug on malone, but this not a specific problem, but rather a general one that was never fixed in hoary and which hopefully will be fixed in breezy.

Sometimes I add a package an it appears on the menu right away.  Sometimes I need to log out and then log in.  Some items, like k3b, seem to appear and disappear with each update.

So there are two issues I am trying to address:

1. The general problem of menu items in breezy.
2. We need a plan for where and how Python learning tools should appear in the menus.

Thanks!

jeff

btw.  There issues upgrading from hoary to breezy if you have things like drpython and boa-contructor installed.  I find I need to remove all these packages and then reinstall them to make dist-upgraded systems work.