edubuntu meanderings

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 5 19:07:02 UTC 2005

hi,
On Di, 2005-09-06 at 02:57 +0900, cormier at edactive.com wrote:

> 1. during the installation I was asked for my ip address. This made me
> panic, as i have a dynamic ip address that i don't keep track of. I tried
> to leave it blank, in retrospect 127.0.0.1 might have been a better fall
> back than skipping, but what do i know really.
i have added notes to the wikipage to prevent that... installing a
standalone ltsp classroom i cant assume there is a dhcp server around,
thus the switch to manual configuration of the interface, i'll add sane
defaults to the installer (added them to the wiki too for now), thanks
for the report...

> 2. etc/init.d/alsa.util failed to load (maybe connected to sudo restart
> suggested in installation document but figured i should include it anyway)

http://www.edubuntu.org/EdubuntuTesting
does not talk about alsa restarting, where exactly did that happen ? it
doesnt occur here.

> 3. after logging in and before gnome loads up i get a little box that says
> something similar to... "could not look up internet address for ubuntu,
> gnome will not work properly, so go to /etc/hosts and add ubuntu."
>
> 4. no internet connection available (probably connected to 1.)
>
> 5. cannot log into root terminal - it begins to start up(appers as block
> on 'start menu') and then just goes away.
>
> 6. ran sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart and got this message
> (obviously connected to 3.)"unable to look up ubuntu via ()gethostbyname
>
> 7. cannot su into root from regular terminal, it just rejects my password.
>
> 8. not being able to log in as root, i can't change /etc/hosts and am
> therefore stuck.
most of the above is related to 1. if the initial network setup fails
and no hostname is set, sudo isnt particulary happy about it...

> I'm writing from windows now, off to do some more research,
thank you very very much for the effort, and sorry for not initially
being clearer in the document about the IP stuff.

ciao
	oli