edubuntu desktop

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 20:55:57 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I'm very reluctant to bring up issues at this late date or to
criticize volunteer contributions, but when I had to reboot my
edubuntu desktop for the first time in a while, I was taken aback by
the new Edubuntu Default desktop.

The retouched drawing of a girl with a superimposed smiley face
staring at me off my desktop is just creepy, and while it is
impossible to please everyone, I think one of the top priorities of a
default deskop image is to be not disturbing to any potential users.

Also, I don't understand what the stripes at the bottom of the screen
are supposed to be doing graphically, and I don't even want to start
with the politics of a perfectly white girl on the desktop of a
distribution aimed in part at the developing world.  Nor do I really
understand why she's reclining.

Beyond that, it is my understanding that Edubuntu is aimed at primary
and secondary schools.  My other objections notwithstanding, this
desktop would be completely inappropriate for older students.

I keep an artist with an MFA in digital media living in my parlour for
circumstances like this one, and I've tasked her with cranking
something out by tomorrow, so perhaps I'll have a last minute
submission.  Otherwise, I would strongly urge the project to play it
safe and use Jonathan Carter's "Waves" background on the
art.ubuntu.com site.  It is important to remember that this desktop
pattern will often be repeated over 20 or 30 displays in a lab.  It
ought not to be overly loud or busy.

--Tom