Color depth

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 16 11:27:53 UTC 2005

hi,
On Mi, 2005-11-16 at 08:46 +0100, Reiner Schmid wrote:
> Is the usage of memory (lower limit 100 MB?) a consequence of ssh?
nope, its the consequence of choosing one of the big desktop
environments, both, KDE and GNOME have such big memory footprints.
but since i'm still alone with development the idea behind not choosing
something smaller was to get the full support and help from the distro
team and a warranty that everything is ready in time for the desktop
(since gnome has nearly the same release schedule as ubuntu).

you could try to install xubuntu-desktop from universe, run:
 sudo update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
and make xfce the default, it will have a way smaller memory usage.

> I think that the release of the terminalserver-edubuntu 5.10 was too
> early.
i think it was fine, else i wouldnt have gotten your feedback which is
most valuable for improvements ;)

> The workstation edubuntu is fine, but i can not suggest
> colleagues to  install this terminalserver in their classrooms. The most
> of my colleagues are about 50 years and older. And there are to many
> stumbling blocks at the moment. We have to wait for dapper drake.
> I hope you are not angry about my opinion.
indeed i'm not. during the several tests i ran with the LTSP guys at our
shared conference i found a lot bad stuff we will (and have to) improve
for dapper. the experience you shared with us pointed out important
stuff that will help a lot. note that we dont have many testers that
give this much feedback.

i'm very grateful about the work you did and i hope you'll go on to help
out with testing to make dapper a rocking experience for our target
audience (you) ;)

ciao
	oli