Printer added with Printing Manager do not show in OpenOffice2.org

Jan Wilson nospam at corozal.com
Thu Nov 3 20:30:27 UTC 2005

I have an HP Business Inkjet 1200 that I managed to add using hplip and
cups.  From the Printing Manager frontend to CUPS I can test it just
fine and set it as the default printer.

 From OOo, however (on the server or in a ULTSP workstation) it only
appears as GENERIC PRINTER.  It seems that I can set options in the
Printing Manager and then send files to the generic printer, but that is
awkward.

Anyone else have this problem?  Searching the web I found several
references to what appears to be the problem, but I would have thought
this would be fixed by now.  One recommendation is to disable the
OpenOffice-gtk-gnome - something package (ugly workaround).

Any ideas?

Jan Wilson, Consultant   _/*];   email:   kris at kringle.corosal.com
"Wizard Third Class"     |  |:'  corosal.com, corosal.bs, linux.bs
Corozal Town, Belize     |  /'  change each 's' to 'z' in  above !
Reg. Linux user #151611  |_/  Network, PHP, Perl, SQL, Linux, etc.